Dr. Ahmad Namini, MSMF’05

in Alumni, Alumni Profiles
July 27th, 2011

Ahmad Namini, MSMF '05

Ahmad Namini, MSMF '05

What was your background before you joined the Mathematical Finance Program?

I was raised in Baltimore, MD, and received three degrees before joining the MF Program. My highest previous degree was a doctorate from the University of Maryland in Computational Mechanics. Other degrees were a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering and a Masters of Science in Computer-Aided Design, both also from the University of Maryland.

I then became a professor at the University of Miami, where I taught courses and conducted research in fields of computational sciences with an emphasis on aeroelasticity, wind engineering, and structural dynamics I also worked in the internet space as a developer during the early days of the dot com craze.

What are you doing now?

I am about to move to Hong Kong to lead Citibank Credit Desk as its Quantitative and Technology Head.

What most interests you about the field of mathematical finance?

“When I was at BU, the light bulb went off in my head… I was ready to join Wall Street.”

Any application of mathematics and computers always interests me. With mathematical finance, the unique blend of computers and applied mathematics to financial problems is a lucrative and, in my case, a very intellectually stimulating field of study.

What did you value most about your experience in the Boston University MF Program?

The stressing of mathematical concepts and its use in finance.  Most people can learn the finance from the work environment, but the rigor of the mathematics can only be learned through coursework and lots of studying.
When I was at Boston University, the light bulb went off in my head relating the sciences of computer science, financial mathematics, and financial markets, and how each relates to one another and to money trading.  It was then that I realized I was developing the tool set connect all these pieces, that was very exciting.  I was ready to join Wall Street.

“I love the interaction with people…. Anything analytical and creative always seems to excite me.”

If you had one word to sum up the MF program at BU, what would it be?

Study.

So much work, so little sleep, and so much fun.  The fellow students and faculty fed off of each other and the common goal of comprehending the concepts made for an intellectually inspiring year.

Any final thoughts about the MF field, or your life beyond it?

I love the interaction with people, a trait sometimes missing on the more mathematically inclined.  Anything analytical and creative always seems to excite me.  That’s why I enjoy cooking and photography as much as I like following the financial markets.

Watch Dr. Namini’s talk from Spring 2009 at Boston University School of Management, “Algo Trading and How To Get a Job on Wall Street.”