BU to Host 1st Annual Global Health Sector Interdisciplinary Case Competition
Twelve elite teams to compete in DePuy Synthes Spine-sponsored challenge
The 1st Annual Global Health Sector Interdisciplinary Case Competition is an invitation-only 24-hour case competition that challenges top MBA students to solve a health sector market challenge related to medical devices in the global health sector.
Eleven student teams from the world’s leading MBA programs will join host BU to compete before industry judges, including senior leadership from event sponsor DePuy Synthes. The competition is unique due to its interdisciplinary nature; in addition to MBA students, every team must also include a public health, medicine, engineering, or law student.
The competition recognizes the best up-and-coming MBA strategists who understand real-world business issues within the health sector and can create valuable recommendations for DePuy Synthes Spine. Additionally, student teams are able to showcase their talents to top executives in the health sector field.
“Case competitions are great practice for working in a high functioning team to deliver a quality solution under a very tight timetable,” said Sam Schweizer, MBA’13 in Health Sector Management, who is helping to project manage the case competition and related events. “This competition is also a fantastic opportunity to network with students from other graduate schools and judges from the business world.”
Participating schools include:
- Boston University School of Management
- CEIBS (China Europe International Business School)
- Frankfurt School of Finance and Management
- Fuqua School of Business, Duke University
- Harvard Business School, Harvard University
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ahmedabad
- IPADE Business School, Universidad Panamericana, Mexico
- Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University
- Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto
- Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Tuck School of Business, Dartmouth College and The Dartmouth Center for Health Care Delivery Science
The top three teams will receive cash prizes of $20,000, $7,500, and $5,000, respectively.
Boston University School of Management hosted an internal competition October 6-7, 2012 to select BU’s case competition team. “The field was very strong,” said Mark Allan, faculty director of the School’s Health Sector Management Program.
The winning team chosen to represent Boston University consisted of three MBA students, Anshu Mironi, Matt Scott, and David Spotts, and one dual MD/MBA student, Sunil Nair. “The internal selection round gave the winning team a chance to work together in the competitive setting,” said Schweizer.
The 1st Annual Global Health Sector Interdisciplinary Case Competition is scheduled for November 1-3, 2012, with final presentations, an award ceremony, and a reception scheduled for Saturday, November 3. For more information and to RSVP for final presentations, please visit the case competition website. Events are open to the entire BU community.