R. J. Page (CAS’13, SMG’13) is Running Smart

in News, Students, Undergraduate Students
April 18th, 2013

A scholar-athlete leaves a fresh trail of sprinting records

Excerpts from BU Today:

R. J. Page explodes out of the starting blocks, his muscular arms pumping the air, straining for every inch of gain. It takes him 10.52 seconds to cover the 100-meter dash, but for the sprinter who’s been twice named Most Outstanding Track Performer at the America East Outdoor Championships and once at the Indoor Championships, it seems like a very long 10.52 seconds.

“People always say the 100 or 200 is so short, but for those of us running, it’s really not,” says Page (CAS’13, SMG’13). “It’s even tougher for us sprinters because the technical aspect is a lot more important than the 800 or the mile. I’m thinking constantly about holding my form, no matter how tired I get, and racing as strong as I can.”

Page has set several BU track and field team records: he holds the best time in the 200-meter dash (21.21) and shares with teammates the record for the 4×400 meter relay (3:08.41) and the 4×200 meter relay (1:24.24), among others. The speed, he says, begins with a mental effort to get in the zone.

Page’s impressive performance is not limited to what his legs can do. He is graduating with a double major, in economics and business administration and management, and has a GPA of 3.49.

“I’ve been challenged here like I’ve never been challenged before,” he says. “Everyone here is smart, and they bring a lot to the table, working with them, studying with them, so I’ve learned a lot from everything the University has to offer.”

Read the full article on BU Today.