Following the recent turmoil in the world’s financial markets, institutions are more eager than ever to employ bright mathematical finance (MF) professionals applying rigorous analyses to financial data. The MF Program will prepare you with the skills necessary to develop high-level expertise in the quantitative side of finance, and includes a real-world internship.
The MF team has significant connections to the industry, and close relationships with employers that help align the program with what employers want.
Read more about:
In addition to a comprehensive curriculum, all MF students are encouraged to complete a two-month summer internship. The internship adds real-world experience to your resume and helps you expand your network, making you more attractive to potential employers. The MF Program’s staff partner with you from day one to coach you through the internship search process and will follow up with you after your internship to get your feedback.
We offer a variety of career resources to help prepare you for your internship and full-time job search:
- Career workshops (Resume building, Interviewing, Negotiations, etc.)
- Mock interviews
- One-on-one career counseling
- Recruiter information sessions
- Company visits
An internship through the MF Program offers students experience in a professional setting, a network of contacts in the field, and the opportunity to explore the industry and professional roles.
For Summer of 2013, 97% of students seeking an internship have accepted an offer.
|Recent internship companies include:|
|Aegis Capital||NextEra Energy|
|Biscayne Advisors||Nuveen Investments|
|Charles River Development||RBS Boston|
|CITI Singapore||State Street Global Advisors|
|Liberty Mutual||UBS Financial Services, Inc.|
|Recent internship positions include:|
|Quantitative Analyst/ Quant Summer Internship|
|Financial planning, asset allocation proposals, and portfolio analysis|
|Credit Risk Analyst|
|Risk Management Analyst|
|Wealth Management Division|
Graduates of the MF Program enter into a number of fields upon graduation.
|Career paths include:|
|Financial advising and investment banking|
|Fixed income securities and derivatives pricing|
|Algorithmic Trading and risk management|
|Proprietary trading and asset management|
|Financial product design and implementation|
Our alumni work for dynamic companies and organizations in major cities around the world. The sample list below demonstrates the wide spectrum of recent alumni employment.
|Recent alumni employers include:|
|Bank of America||Mellon Capital Management|
|Barclays Capital||Morgan Stanley|
|Bloomberg L.P.||Putnam Investments|
|Charles River Development, Product Specialist, Quality Assurance Group||Standard & Poors|
|Ernst & Young||State Street Associates|
|Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, Senior Research Assistant, Risk & Policy Analysis||State Street Global Markets|
|Fortress Investment Group LLC||Suite LLC|
|HSBC Bank||BlackEdge Capital|
The MF Program is dedicated to working closely with companies who are interested in recruiting our students to ensure that both the company and our students find the right fit. We hope to build a collaborative and mutually beneficial relationship with companies who recruit our students and aim to support the financial engineering field.
Our students are employed as traders, quantitative analysts/developers, risk managers, financial technologists, business analysts, and researchers for various types of firms that have included investment banks, hedge funds, private equity, asset managers, proprietary trading, software, consultancy, research, and financial data providers.
The MF Program offers companies a variety of ways to recruit students for both internship and full-time job opportunities:
- Host an on-campus information session: These are one-hour presentations by the firm describing what the company does and its current hiring needs. We provide our student resume book and work closely with hiring managers in advance of the on-campus session to strategically identify ideal hiring fits.
- Host an information session at your company: We are more than happy to come to you. We often work with large companies who want to showcase their on-site activities as part of an information session.
- Send us job opportunities directly: The MF Program’s Executive Director, in collaboration with faculty members, can match students with positions. Typically, we recommend three students as options for every opening. Contact Ahmad Namini, Mathematical Finance Executive Director, at email@example.com.
- Attend our SMG Career Fair: The School hosts two career fairs per year, whereby students can pitch themselves to recruiters.
- Browse our resume book: Our resume book shows the up to date experience of our student body and permits employers to assess potential hires at their own pace.
In most cases, students in our graduating class are available to begin full-time work each January. Our first-year students are available for internships from mid-May through August, and often continue in a part-time capacity in their final semester (Sept-Dec).
|Sample timeline of internship and job placement process:|
|1st Year Fall (Sept-Dec)||1st Year Spring (Jan-May)||Summer(June-Aug)||2nd Year Fall(Sept-Dec)||Upon Graduation(January)|
|Company Information Sessions & Career Fair||Additional information sessions & recruiting events||Students complete their internship||Some students continue internship on a part-time basis||Students begin work as early as January|
|Internship search begins||Students begin interviewing for internships||Full-time job search|
If you are interested in recruiting MF students, viewing our resume book, or hosting an information session, please contact Ahmad Namini, Mathematical Finance Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.